Friday, August 20, 2010

Proverbs 20: The Problem with Strife

3 It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, 
       but every fool is quick to quarrel.

Ever had a blemish on your face?  Most of us know that the best thing to do is to leave it alone.  However, what do most of us do? 

WE STARE AT IT!
WE PRESS IT! 
WE SQUEEZE IT!

The result… We make it worse.

In the end we find ourselves thinking, “I wish I would have left that minor blemish alone.  No one really even noticed it before I decided to be a ‘bathroom dermatologist.’  Now I’ve inflamed and bruised it and everyone sees the damaged I’ve caused.”

Our interaction with our facial blemishes illustrate the moral of Proverbs 20:3.  While it is tempting to “pursue, put to rest or squash” every annoyance that we encounter,  it is generally more beneficial and demonstrates greater wisdom to avoid strife.

A Few Questions to Consider Before Engaging in Strife... 
  • Is this worth my time?  Our time is valuable… Our days are numbered.  If you were to die the next moment would you say, “I am glad I spent my last moments yelling at the guy that almost hit me while texting in traffic (See Psalm 90:12)? 
  • Will argumentative words or a strife filled interaction solve the situation? Would our time be better spent discussing the issues that trouble us with the Lord in prayer and seeking his advice via the wisdom found in His Holy Word, the Bible? (See Phillipians 4:5-7)? 
  • Would our time be better spent praising God for the way He can use every situation, problem and/or gift to bless our lives (See James 1:2-5 and Romans 8:28)?

Circumstances Can Make Us Better or Bitter… The Choice is Ours!  
I Choose Better!

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful! Proverbs 20 does two things for me. It teaches me to use priorities, and good alignment.

    ReplyDelete