Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Proverbs 17


Chapter 17 spoke to me in the following ways...

Verses 27-28 said...
 A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, 
and a man of understanding is even-tempered.
"Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,        
and discerning if he holds his tongue."


Wow!  This verse demonstrates the power of self-control especially as it pertains to speaking.


All over the Proverbs we are instructed to wisely guard our words. Every time I read these Proverbs about talking (or not talking) they make total sense.  However, I quickly find myself tempted to join conversations that are a waste of my time.


My grandmother once said, "You can't be talking to God enough because you are always on the phone."  At the time I laughed but the older I get the more I realize the truth of her statement.


I generally call friends just to say hello.  Today, before I make each call, I am going to ask myself, "Is this call necessary?  Or is it just a call out of habit?"  If it's just a habitual call, I will call the Lord (via prayer and reflection) instead.


Let's make more calls to God today! :)


How did God speak to you through Proverbs 17?


T


PS: To View Proverbs 17 Click Here http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+17&version=NIV

3 comments:

  1. Praise God for His wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good! I am enjoying reading Proverbs this month and the constant reminders to Live Holy and Be Wise!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staying close to the cross and with God's will power you can keep your tongue in check. I always say you can't control what a person does or says to you but you can control how you respond. "You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength."

    ReplyDelete