Thursday, August 19, 2010

Proverbs 19: To Grow or Not to Grow?




3 A man's own folly ruins his life, 
       yet his heart rages against the LORD.

This is one of those scriptures that makes you laugh and cry at the same time.  It reminds me that we live in a world in which we’ve perfected the art of “Passing the Buck.”  It seems like every bad outcome is someone else’s fault these days.

Proverbs 19:3 demonstrates the height of “passing the buck” which is to blame God for the unsatisfying outcomes in our lives. 

One of the most difficult things in the world to do is admit “I was wrong.” However, the only way to improve our lives is to courageously ask God and ourselves questions like…
  • What role did I play in creating this miserable outcome?
  • How could I have handled this situation differently?
  • What can I learn from this situation?
  • How does God’s word indicate I should change my behavior or perspective to experience a more “abundant life?”
The Book of Proverbs talks a great deal about “Specific Actions Creating Specific Results.”

While self-reflection and change can be uncomfortable, here are couple of points that provide us with great hope!
  • God will reveal to us areas that we need to address in our lives. (See John 16:8
  • God will forgive us of any and all shortcomings. (See 1 John 1:9
  • God will empower us to make needed changes. (See Philippians 4:13
  • God will complete the good work that he started in us! (See Philippians 1:6)
God gives us the opportunity to grow... Let's accept His Offer!

2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed my journey in Proverbs. It is true that a Proverb a day brings wisdom our way.
    As for me these chapters has really had a profound impact on my life. If you are searching for an atlas, map or a personal navigator through the journey of life. This is the book, PROVERBS, be it hiway,freeway, byway, airway or waterway. Study and apply it to your life you will be assured a safe arrival at your destination.

    ReplyDelete