Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Truth: The Foundation of Praise

"I will extol You, O Lord, for you have lifted me up, And have not let my foes rejoice over me." -Psalm 30:1

If you ever find yourself in a spiritually sluggish mood, Psalm 30 is effective medicine.  In this Psalm we find King David, perhaps the best known worshiper in the Bible, praising God fervently.  This passage not only  reveals what David was doing but his motivation for doing it.  David's stimulus for exalting God rests upon one word--Truth.

Two "Praise Producing" Aspects of Truth
When we feel apathetic or lethargic about worshiping God, like David, we will be greatly helped by concentrating on the following aspects of God's truth:
Fact One:  God is...
Fact Two:  God has...

Truth One:  God has...
...Not let my foes rejoice over me. (Psalm 30:1)
...Healed me. (Psalm 30:1)
...Resurrected me to eternal life and purpose. (Psalm 30:3)
...Transformed the expected  (or deserved) outcome into exceedingly, abundantly and positively more than anything I hoped for or imagined. (Psalm 30:11)

Truth Two:  God is...
...Listening to my prayers (Psalm 30:6-11)
...My Helper (Psalm 30:10)
...Merciful and Empathetic (Psalm 30:6-10)

An Insulting and Insightful Prayer
In Psalm 30:6-10 David uses language with God that is both insulting and insightful.  On the one hand David says, "God, if you allow anything to happen to me, you will put Yourself in a tough position.  If I die, who will praise you?  Who will declare your truth?"   

Reading David's prayer it's easy to think, "Really David?  God of the universe needs you?  It all falls apart if one guy exits earth early?  God, who made Heaven and Earth by simply speaking, is hostage to your existence?"  It takes audacity to pray those words but then again the Bible does instruct us to come to God boldly.  (Hebrew 4:16)  Another way of saying that is we can come to God even when we are not thinking straight!  Why?  Because there is nothing but love, correction, protection, growth, productivity and purpose in our Shepherd's arms.  Fact is, Our Father would rather us say the wrong thing to him than say nothing at all.

David's prayer is insightful for two reasons:
1.  More important than knowing what to say to God is simply knowing to talk to Him.  The more you talk to God the clearer the truth will become.  A lot of times we make the unprofitable decision of only having a conversation with God when we feel spiritually fit and focused.  This is a grave mistake.  One of the most wonderful aspects of having God as our Father is the privilege of arriving spiritually, emotionally and physically empty and leaving full.

At the end of David's prayer, he appears to realizes negotiating with God is a hopeless effort.  He then, in full sincerity, simply prays one of the best prayers of all, "Hear, O Lord and have mercy on me.  Lord be my helper!"

2. David's prayer also demonstrated his belief (faith) that God cares, listens and responds to our prayers.


The Only Appropriate Response to the aforementioned aspects of  truth is, "I will... 
...Extol the Lord. (Psalm 30:1)
....Sing Praise to His name. (Psalm 30:4)
....Verbally and Mentally express thanksgiving as I meditate upon each of the ways, large and small, God has blessed me. (Psalm 30:4)
...Give thanks forever (Psalm 30:12)

Game Changing Exercise
Complete the Following Phrases:

  • God is.... (What is God to you?)
  • God has... (What has God done for you?
  • I will... (In response to God's Person, Character and Past actions, what will you do for God?
Affirmation
I will remember God's work in my Life.  I will praise God for it!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment