Monday, November 4, 2013

Are you Awake?

5 You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. 6 So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. 8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. 
(1 Thessalonians 5:5-8)

My 15 month old wakes up ready to conquer the world.  When he opens his eyes, it's "game on!"  His only concern is securing the assistance he needs to accomplish his goals which I suspect are eating, playing, loving and learning.

I wish I woke up each day like my son.  However, I do not and this morning was particularly challenging.  As the alarm clock reminded me that it was time to face the day, I felt....
Sluggish
Worried
Sad


A Habit of Morning Worship is Key.... (Psalm 63)
Almost without thinking, as a result of investing time to learn scriptures during my better moments, I was able to mentally access and repeat a portion of God's Word.

Physically and Spiritually Awake
Mentally, I kept repeating the phrase, "I will bless The Lord at all times.... I will bless The Lord at all times... I will bless The Lord at all times...." (Psalm 34:1)  And gradually I found myself going from being physically awake to being spiritually awake.

My spiritual awakening was characterized by two movements:
Movement One:  Appreciating the "Enough's" in My Life
Movement Two:  Replacing Mental Trash with Spiritual Treasure

Movement One:  Appreciating the "Enough's" in My Life
As I silently repeated, "I will bless The Lord at all times" my thoughts shifted from the concerns of the day to the evidence of God's care for me and my day.  I found myself thanking The Lord for the "Enough's" in my life.  I am thankful that I am....
....Habitual enough in my daily posture to praise God at the onset of the day.  (Psalm 5:1-3; Psalm 92:1-4)
....Blessed enough to know this is the day The Lord has made and I will rejoice in it and be glad. (Psalm 118:24)
....Aware enough to know when my feelings are not in accordance with my faith.  (2 Corinthians 10:4-5)

As I continued thanking God for the "Enough's," I began to feel God's Hand positioning my day towards productivity.

Movement Two:  Replacing Mental Trash with Spiritual Treasure
Next I thought, "It's time to deal with the morning dew on my spiritual windshield.  I need to remove anything preventing me from seeing God clearly today."  So I began to confront those negative feelings (i.e. Mental Trash) that initially characterized my morning with God's Word (i.e. Spiritual Treasure)

Sluggish.... "The joy of The Lord is my strength." (Nehemiah 8:10)  When I think about the goodness of The Lord, I find myself feeling more energetic.  It's real hard to quote Psalm 103 without feeling God's warmth, passion and abundant love.


Worried....  I have a lot to accomplish today.  My family is depending on me.  Bills need to be paid, futures must be made secure and when I consider yesterday's unfinished business and couple it with today's "to do" list, it feels as though I am looking at a mountain of demands.  Yet, my soul is encouraged because I recall that I serve a God that can move mountains.  (Matthew 17:20)

Sometimes He moves them through my faith. (Matthew 8:5-13) Sometimes He moves mountains through circumstances. (Exodus 12:6)  And sometimes, out sheer mercy and kindness, He speaks to them directly. (Mark 4:35-41Thank You Lord for the mountains!  For without mountains there would be no canvas to watch the miracle unfold!

Sad...  Weeping may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning. (Psalm 30:4-5) I am spiritually awake and experiencing His joy!


I strongly encourage you rid yourself of spiritual, emotional and mental trash and replace it with the treasure of God's word.  It takes you from feeling and/or being poor to being emotionally, spiritually and mentally rich in an instant!


Affirmation
I am physically and spiritually awake.  I will meditate on God's truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment