Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Stunted Growth (Part 1): Rejecting God’s Word (Reasons We Fail to Grow as Christians)

3 Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up…  18 “Listen then to what the parable of the sower means:19 When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path.

Arrested Development Produces Alarm!
Any parent would be greatly troubled if they realized  their child had stopped growing?  It wouldn't matter which part of their toddler’s development was arrested.  They’d quickly visit a physician for a diagnosis and apply his recommended solutions. 

Is God Pleased with Our Development? 
If you were to look at yourself through your Heavenly Father’s eyes, would you see a spiritual being that was developing in a healthy, balanced manner?  Or would you see a precious soul that appeared stunted?

If we were having an honest conversation with God (and we can), most of us would admit there are areas in our lives in which we have experienced dramatic growth, moderate growth and no growth at all. 

If you are reading this blog, chances are you are spiritually alive.  And that’s a big deal.  Being a new creature in Christ represents a heart that beats for God!!!  Going from spiritual death to a Spirit filled life is the starting point of all growth.  (2 Corinthians 5:17)

Take a "Heart Inventory" 
Today, as you consider the scriptures above, ask yourself, “Which areas of my life are failing to reflect God’s direction?”  Use the Biblical definition of love as your as your starting point (Mark 12:28-31).  As you review the scriptures below, I have added questions in parenthesis to assist you with taking a “heart  inventory."

Biblical Definition of Love
4 Love is patient, (Am I patient?)
love is kind.  (Am I kind?)
It does not envy, (Am I envious? Or am I excited to see good things happen to those around me?)
it does not boast, (Am I boastful person?  Or do I describe my accomplishments modestly?)
it is not proud. (Am I humble?  Or do I look down on those that are different than me?)
5 It does not dishonor others, (Am I a person that strives to honor those around me?  Do I focusing on seeing God’s value in each individual I encounter?)
it is not self-seeking, (Am I a person that exalts my wants over the needs of others?)
it is not easily angered, (Am I easily annoyed?)
it keeps no record of wrongs.  (Am I constantly reflecting on the ways people have hurt me?  Or am I continuously reflecting on the way God has blessed me?)
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. (Am I more interested in gossip regarding someone else’s shortcomings?  Or more excited about the fact that God can transform them just as He’s transformed me?)
7 It always protects, (Am I protective of that which deserves protecting?)
always trusts, (Am I appropriately placing my confidence?)
always hopes, (Am I hopeful regarding my future and expecting to experience life’s best?)
always perseveres. (Am I person that keeps working toward my goal?  Or do I easily give up?)
(Scriptures Italicized)

Questions for Reflection
A few additional questions to think about... 
  • What biblical truths have I shielded my heart from receiving because (even though God has made me a new creature) I wasn't ready to give up old, unproductive ways of living?

  • What does God’s Word say about those areas of my life?

  • How would my life be better if applied God’s direction to my life instead of doing things my way?


Prayer

God, bless us to live the abundant, productive, loving lives you had in mind when you created us.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment