Monday, September 6, 2010

Proverbs 30:7-9... Simplifying Life (The Benefits of Proper Ambition)

7 "Two things I ask of you, O LORD; 
       do not refuse me before I die:

 8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me; 
       give me neither poverty nor riches,
 
       but give me only my daily bread.

 9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you 
       and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
 
       Or I may become poor and steal,
 
       and so dishonor the name of my God.

Do you ever feel like the world is moving faster than you?  Do words such as “overwhelmed, anxious or confused” sometimes describe your state?  Do you ever ask yourself, “How did my life get this complicated?  If you answered yes to any of these questions, Proverbs 30:7-9 is stuffed with advice that we can use to…
Simplify our Lives,
Better Manage our Pace and
Experience God’s Peace in a More Dramatic Fashion.

A Wise Prayer
Proverbs 30:7-9 record the words of a wise prayer. 
                     
Reliance Upon God
The first reason the prayer is wise is because the author was relying upon God to meet his needs (2 Corinthians 9:6-8).   How often do we find ourselves disappointed when human beings let us down or temporary structures collapse (Matthew 7:24-29)?  Here are the facts… Jobs vanish, opportunities disappear, natural disasters wipe out long lasting communities but God and His Word never fail (1 Peter 1:22-25Isaiah 55:11 and Joshua 21:45).

Understanding "Wants" vs. "Needs"
The second reason the prayer is wise is because the requestor looked at life and asked, “What do I really need?  Think about that for a moment…  While I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with desiring "wants," how much more peace would we experience if we stopped and realized, “I have everything I need.  I may desire the "luxury of more" but my needs are met.  The simple truth is… If we didn’t have everything we need, we’d be dead! (Matthew 4:1-4; Psalm 34:9-11 and Deuteronomy 8:1-18). 

God is the Ultimate Source of Everything Good 
Lastly, the simple act of asking the Lord implies that the author understood God is the source of all good things and He freely bestows His treasures on His children (Philippians 4:19; James 1:17 and Matthew 7:7-11).  How much more joy would we experience, if like the author of this prayer, realized, “Whatever we need, God is able to supply it.  Not only is He able to supply it… It is His Good Pleasure to bless us. (Luke 12:27-32)”

Simplifying Life
After considering everything the world had to offer, the author asked for two things…
 8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me; 
       give me neither poverty nor riches, 
       but give me only my daily bread.

In addition to making His request known, the author allows us to understand his rationale…
 9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you 
       and say, 'Who is the LORD ?' 
       Or I may become poor and steal, 
       and so dishonor the name of my God

What Do Our Prayers Say about Us?
The author’s prayer indicates something about him that my prayers often fail to demonstrate about me… The author's prayer essentially says...
 “My main goal is to please my Creator.  
While my prayers sometimes border on “spiritual narcism,” this prayer says... 
God, bless me to make You happy!  In fact, I’d like you to remove or withhold any temporal pleasure that may distract me from your eternal greatness.  I simply want you to structure my life in a way that prompts me to deepen my relationship and dependence on You moment by moment. ” (Psalm 139:23-24, Matthew 6:5-13 and Psalm 27:1-4)

Aspiring to Real Greatness
Want a manageable pace?  Want a life characterized by gratitude, joy and all the Fruits of God’s Spirit (Galatians 5:22)?  Want to simplify your life by eliminating meaningless clutter and becoming driven by what really matters?  
Make Your Ambition the Unselfish Pursuit of God.
As you chase after God’s Heart, His Blessings will chase after you! (Matthew 6:33; Psalms 84:11 and Psalm 23, Especially Verse 6)

I Will Pursue God’s Love and Guidance!

3 comments:

  1. Amen! I want to fall more deeply in love with God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful lesson. I am truly inspired.
    Thank you Lord for meeting all my needs, and some of my desires. #1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to stop by and let u know that your post keep me from spreading gossip today at work. I fell short by receiving the info however I have no intention of spreading it. Continue to inspire!

    ReplyDelete